Thursday, September 2, 2010

New Malaysia Restaurant

Ever since my boycott of that other Malaysian restaurant in Chinatown, I've been trying to find another place to satisfy my cravings. I finally remembered that Malaysian restaurant I used to go to when I was younger.


This place is located in that tunnel that runs from Bowery St to Elizabeth St in Chinatown. It's a medium size restaurant so it's a bit tight in there. Going to my table was like walking through a maze. In the end though, I didn't mind. The place also looked fairly clean.

I didn't get a chance to study their menu before I went so it took me awhile to order my food.

Lemonade Ice Tea - $2.50
H claimed he ordered a malaysian iced tea but this came to our table instead. The drink was refreshing but really sweet.

Roti Canai (Indian Pan Cake) - $3.25

The curry sauce was pretty good. It was fairly thick. I hate watery curry sauce. My one complaint is that they don't give enough curry.

The pancake was different. It was a bit thicker than your usual pancake. Having said that, it tasted pretty good (in a different way).

Preserved Vegetable w. Beef Soup - $5.95

This was kinda bad. Edible but not worth ordering again. For some reason, I thought it was going to be sour since it had preserved vegetables. It wasn't sour at all. I think it had some sweetness to it actually. The flavor was just off.

Choy Kway Teow - $6.50

When I ordered this, the waitress asked me if I wanted it spicy or not. I said spicy. She must have forgot because this wasn't spicy at all. It was actually pretty bland. I mean, it wasn't the worst noodle dish I've ever had but it definitely lacked flavor.

Oh, the hot sauce I asked for was weird. It wasn't your typical chinese hot sauce. It was watery so I'm thinking it was the sauce that comes with Hainanese chicken. 

Tender Beef in Curry - $13.50

Now, you know that I don't usually order a beef dish as my main meat dish but I ordered one that day. I think the "tender" part of the dish name attracted me. Plus, I figured H would be happy with it.

The beef was actually tender. It was definitely lacking flavor though. Plus, I think the curry had coconut juice in it. I dislike coconut based curry =/

Overall, it was an alright place. I want to go back but I will order other dishes when I do.

New Malaysia Restaurant
46-48 Bowery Street
Chinataown Aracde #28
New York, NY 10013
212-964-0284