Friday, August 6, 2010

Red's Eats

On our way to the lobster festival, we passed by this place on the road. I noticed a decent line but didn't think much of it. On our way back to the hotel, I noticed that this time, the line was much longer. Intrigued, I made a mental note to look it up online when I got back to the hotel.

Turns out to be a pretty popular/famous place. What is it famous for? Lobster rolls! Reading that the wait can be up to an hour, I decided to head there after the dinner rush (9:30ish). It was a good move because when we got there, there was no line at all.


~$37 for 2 lobster rolls, small fries and a large coke.

Their lobster rolls are made a bit differently. The main difference is that they do not pre-mix the mayo with the lobster. They just give you plain lobster on a butter toasted New England roll. You can get warm butter and mayo on the side. This is great for me because I never liked the intense amount of mayo a typical lobster roll has. It's also great because if you like plain lobster, you can get it here and not have to deal with cracking the shell and stuff.

So the first thing I noticed when I took a bite was that the lobster was cold. I'm guessing that's how lobster rolls are? Again, I'm not an experience lobster roll eater. I think I've probably ate 3 my whole life.

Besides the cold part, the lobster roll was pretty good. I think the best part though, is the roll. It's soft, buttery and warm. Oh yea, they give you a very good amount of lobster. I think each roll has more than 1 lobster in it.

Red's Eats
41 Main St
Wiscasset, ME 04578
(207) 882-6128